On most nights I expect disapproval from my toddlers over what terrible concoction I have the nerve to serve them. Although I clearly serve poison, they usually humor me a bit by forcing some food past their lips after expressing how disheartened they are with their dinner choices. Tonight, I tried to set them up for success by offering a dessert and showing it to them before showing them dinner. They excitedly ran to the table to find apparent slop. Michael began whaling. I pointed out that I had incorporated lots of foods he likes, which I do EVERY night. Corn and avocado in a corn tortilla...however, I made the horrific mistake of topping it with sautéed shrimp and cilantro sauce. Oh the humanity! Michael pointed to the shrimp and declared he didn't want that on his taco. Joey replied, "that's shrimp. It's the bomb!" Michael, now hysterical, claimed the didn't want the bomb. Which set Rafael off into a crying fit of him yelling "no bomb, no bomb!" By the time I sat down with my plate, Michael was crying under the table to sooth himself. Joey made another taco for Michael that contained ONLY corn and avocado. On another night, Michael would have ate it, no problem. On this night, he attempted to bargain one bite for a whole cookie...and I had to feed him the taco. That's right, it couldn't touch his hands. After obliging to his requests, he ate his taco and earned his cookie. We asked him to stay in the kitchen so Rafael didn't see he had a cookie. Rafael was so shaken up by the fish taco debacle, he asked to nurse. He's been weaned for months. Michael ate most of his cookie in the kitchen quietly, then started to sing "Rafael, I have a cookie". After this pleasant dinner, the boys went outside to play on the porch. Michael immediately started to play "kitchen" where he cooked dinner for Daddy and reminded him he had to eat his dinner before getting a cookie.
I'd like to say this night was an anomaly. Nope, it's just my typical life with toddlers. Fortunately for me, Joey loves my cooking. Even my discusting shrimp tacos.
Here are pictures of the boys making their own sandwiches on a different day. No complaints over PB&J.




No comments:
Post a Comment