Pages

Monday, May 9, 2016

Dentist, then McDonald Adventures




The boys and I went to McDonald's, as promised, after a successful visit with the dentist. Well... Michael asked to go to the Chicken Nugget Restaurant so I figured McDonald's would do. I ordered a cheeseburger happy meal for Michael, a chicken nugget happy meal for Rafael, and a fruit-yogurt parfait for myself. It was a mini adventure, as always, to the bathroom to get washed up before lunch. After I got the boys situated with their food, I took one bite of my parfait when Michael's eyes lit up and said "what's that, Mommy?" I asked him if he wanted a bite, but I knew that bite would lead to him eating it all. So I gave it to him and asked if I could have some of his hamburger. He said I could have his apples instead. I took them, and just as soon as I grabbed the bag, Rafael's eyes lit up. So I ended up giving him most of the apples only to have them chewed up then spit out on my leg. So I began to help myself to the last two chicken nuggets, which I dipped in BBQ sauce that was heavily mixed with milk. By this time, Michael asked to sit with me. This meant he was starting to get really full and needed some comfort because his tummy was hurting. So he sat on my lap finishing the last of the parfait, the hamburger was long gone. Rafael sat to my left trying to use his straw as a spoon to lap up his milk rather than drink from the straw. Micheal then noticed the 1/2 nugget left and helped himself. I was performing a balancing act of  letting Rafael have enough independence with his milk to keep him from screaming, yet hovering over him just enough to prevent a major spill while comforting Michael as he finished all the food despite his tummy hurting. Then we took a second mini adventure to the bathroom to actually use the bathroom. Michael was just a tad too short to stand over the toilet and potty so he stood on his tip-toes and told me he was going to grow as tall as the toilet. As I was holding Rafael up to the sink to wash his hands, Michael decided he was done and took off, out of the bathroom and down the hall. Leaving me no choice but to chase him with Rafael's wet, soapy hands.

I felt I needed to write about this even-though this was a typical lunch date with my boys because I'm suspecting that one day, I might walk into a restaurant, order, sit down, eat, then leave...just like that. And I'll forget what it was like to have lunch with toddlers.





No comments: