Pages

Friday, October 23, 2015

From the Mouths of Babes vol. 5

Most nights prove troublesome for the toothbrushing routine. When it comes time for brushing teeth, Michael is tired and cranky and will do anything to get out of complying with anything asked of him. It typically takes a good 5 minute struggle/battle just to get into the bathroom. Some nights are worse than others. On this particular night, I had to drag him as he went limp and cried "no, no" as if he was being dragged to walk the plank. Once I hoisted his limp, flimsy body onto the bathroom stool, he perked up ready for the task at hand. Typically, once I get Michael into the bathroom, he doesn't want to stop brushing his teeth and will be in there for 10+ minutes if I let him. So he went on about his normal routine as if it was completely normal to have such a screaming struggle to the bathroom (in fact, it is). I  let him brush first, then I have "my turn" to try for a more thorough wash that doesn't just involve him eating the toothpaste and running the toothbrush under the faucet, then in the faucet, then down the drain.  Queue second battle. The first battle is getting Michael to brush his teeth, the second battle is getting him to give up his toothbrush. After the second battle ended and I was about to take my turn to brush his teeth, he reaching for the toothbrush and screamed "I want the power!!!" He's smarter than I ever imagined. Toothbrushing time is about power, and I'm losing.



Michael was sitting on my lap and we were cuddling under the blanket on the couch watching cartoons together. Michael said in his sweet, soft voice, "Did you hear that, Mama?" I said yes, thinking he was referring to the t.v. He then said, "It was my toot."



It was my fall break and I was home all week with the boys. I tried to plan something fun everyday for us to do together. We had just renewed our annual pass for the zoo so I asked Michael if he wanted to go to the zoo today. He said "No, I've already been there."


Day 4 of Fall Break: Michael had been amped up all morning and harassing Rafael by screaming in his face and rolling on top of him...you know, the usual. Rafael had had enough and needed a break so I start nursing him in the living room and Michael retreats to his room. I think to myself how nicely Michael is playing in his room by himself. The house is quiet and calm for a good 5 minutes. Then Michael returns to the living room completely naked with pee dripping down his legs.
(By the way, Michael is pooping in this photo)


Michael and I were sitting on the couch together looking at a canvas print of one of my baby pictures. At first he was looking at it and commenting on it. Then he started playing with it on his head, then banging it on his head so he could feel the canvas bounce. I told him it was time to put the picture back and he used one of his many strategies for dealing with my apparent outrageous requests. He faced me, shut his eyes, stood still and acted as if he was invisible. He's used this "invisible" strategy a few times and it makes it very hard not to break out in hysterical laughter. I was on the brink of breaking down when, with his eyes still shut, he reached out slowly, bopped his finger on my nose and said "boop." I lost it.


No comments: