Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Lighthouse Visit

Today we checked out Port Hueneme's Lighthouse. It was a 1/2 mile walk down the beach to the lighthouse and I figured we didn't need the stroller. We could let Michael walk as long as he can and carry him if he can't go any further. I carried Rafael in the sling and Joey carried all the necessities in a back pack. Michael was very excited to be at the beach but he was super uncooperative walking the path to the lighthouse. The path was lined with sand and rocks and Michael wanted to kick, jump, run and pretend to fall over the rocks. We let him play in the sand and rocks for a while, thinking he would get over it and start walking with us. However, he had no interest in following us to the lighthouse. It became a struggle to get him to walk. Joey eventually put Michael on his showers, with much protest by Michael in the way of screaming, squealing, squirming and outright protest. Finally, we made it and toured the little lighthouse. It was okay.

While at the lighthouse, we realized our prepaid parking pass was about to expire. It had taken us much longer than expected to get there. We tried to hightail it back to the car but we had an even harder time getting Michael to walk back. We decided Joey would go back to the car with Rafael and I would walk with Michael. I tried all the usual tricks to get Michael to cooperate. I told him how we needed to catch up with Daddy. He needed to show me how fast he could run. If we hurried we could feed the ducks. Eventually, I hoisted Michael up on my shoulder... and que tantrum. Michael screamed, yelled, squealed, squirmed, and eventually resorted to manipulation. While on my shoulder, he said "I need to catch Daddy". I thought, this could be a trick but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I put him down and started to run, encouraging him to run along side me....he immediately ran off the path to the sand and threw himself on the ground. I let him play for a minute then hoisted him up on my shoulder again. Then he said "I need to run." I wasn't falling for it this time and kept him on my shoulder. Then he screamed "I NEED TO RUN LIKE A MAN." Apparently my carrying him was an insult to his manhood. I figured, we have 1/2 mile to go, he's going to give in and just let me carry him any minute now. I was wrong. He never gave in. He screamed the whole way back. We got more than a few looks of people trying to enjoy a relaxing walk on the beach.

On the way there, Michael absolutely needed his glasses. He wore them on top of his head, instead of over his eyes.


Here's the original lamp that was in operation for over 100 years and just replaced in 2012. 
  

One of the times I fell for Michael telling me he would run with me to catch Daddy, I put him down, he turned to face the opposite direction, sighed as if exhausted, laid on the ground and started twiddling his fingers on the pavement.


All that excitement must have wore Michael out. I gave him a sandwich in the car, which he just held in his hand for 10 minutes...then this happened.


Adventures in parenthood....never a dull moment :)

No comments: